How to

18 August 2017

Tickets for 2018 PyeongChang Winter Paralympics Available from Monday


Preparations for the 2018 Winter Olympics in the South Korean city of PyeongChang are well underway, with tickets for the traditional games having gone on sale back in February. Next week however is not short of notable occasions concerning the games, as Monday marks the first day of sale for Winter Paralympic tickets.

Organisers have stated that tickets will go on sale at 2pm on Monday 21st August, with the date being chosen to mark the commencement of the 200-day countdown to the opening ceremony.

280,000 tickets will be available for purchase for events including para alpine skiing, para biathlon, para cross-country skiing, para ice hockey, para snowboard and wheelchair curling. The Olympic Committee are hoping to sell 70% of tickets to the home crowd, i.e South Korean residents. The remaining 30% will be sold overseas.

Any one individual can purchase up to 50 tickets regardless of the chosen event(s).

According to the S. Korean news agency Yonhap News, tickets for the opening ceremony will cost as much as 140,000 Korean Republic Won (KRW), which roughly equates to $123.20 (or £95.63, assuming our currency gets no worse between the writing and publication of this article). Tickets for the closing ceremony will range from 10,000KRW to 70,000KRW.

As for the actual sporting events, tickets to para biathlon, para cross-country skiing and para snowboard events will cost 16,000KRW each. Prices for the preliminaries, semi-finals and finals in para ice hockey and wheelchair curling will range from 10,000KRW to 50,000KRW.

A discount of 50% is available for people of national merit and patriots, people with disabilities, seniors over 65 years of age, and local residents of host cities. Meanwhile discounts of 30% will be given to government agencies, regional governments and non-profit organisations. These discounts do not however apply to the opening and closing ceremonies.

To purchase your tickets, head over to the official site on Monday from 2pm. The games are scheduled to take place from the 9th to the 18th of March 2018.

Paralympic tickets will also be available at the main ticket centres of Seoul City Hall, the Gangwon provincial government headquarters, Gangneung City Hall, the Incheon and Gimpo international airports, and 19 KTX stations from November 6th.


Sam Bonson

Sam is an aspiring novelist with a passion for the written word. Currently working as a content writer, journalist & editor, his time at many UK festivals has taught him the importance of keeping warm.